Almond and Orange Cake
- For the lemon curd, whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth, then place pan over a low heat. Add the butter, juice and zest and whisk continuously until thickened. Strain through a sieve and keep covered in the fridge until required.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line cake moulds with baking paper.
- Place the 2 whole oranges in a pot and bring them to the boil. Once the water is boiling remove the oranges and repeat the process. Take the whole blanched oranges and place them in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy then fold the pureed oranges into the egg mix. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and almond meal, do not overwork the mix as you will knock out the air. Slowly add the olive oil and once incorporated the mix is ready.
- Pour cake batter into cake moulds and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once ready, place on a rack and allow to cool.
- When ready to serve, remove cakes from moulds, dust with icing sugar, cut into pieces and serve with lemon curd and mascarpone.
2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
¾ cup caster sugar
1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter
2 lemons, juice and zest
2 whole oranges, skin left on
3 whole eggs
230g caster sugar
100g all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
300g almond meal
1 tablespoon olive oil
Icing sugar, to serve
Mascarpone, to serve